Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Movies I watch again and Again

Somewhere in my 3rd Year of Engineering, I borrowed an extended version of the whole “Lord of the Rings” Series – almost 11 hours Run Time; one of my friends and I still remember running home to watch it immediately. I think I started watching it around 6-6.30 in the evening and I was watching it the whole night till I finally finished it sometime in the morning. That was first of many more LOTR nights me and few of my friends had since then. I have seen those movies so many times that I know most of the dialogues by heart. Watching so much fighting, orcs and Gollum and other creatures my parents initially were little worried. They even tried talking me out of it. But now they walk out of the house whenever I put these movies on. Maybe they have given up on me now.
Lord of the Rings” Trilogy is just one of the movies I watch time and again. Many times because I don’t remember certain dialogue in one of the scenes. That much trivial reason is enough for me to go back and watch those movies one more time. Sweet Home Alabama(2002), not a very well known film, but I have watched it at least dozen times. Reese Witherspoon and great dialogues of this movie make up for otherwise very predictable movie. Juno(2007) is about teen pregnancy- subject which tells me only one thing: ‘Stay Away!’ but believe me I can watch this movie any time any day. Jason Bateman and Ellen Page deserve a lot of credit to make such a movie and moreover make it thoroughly entertaining. Ellen Page even received her very first Oscar Nomination for this role.
Let us talk about some classics. 12 Angry Men(1957) took me by surprise the first time I saw it. I sure was expecting a good movie - courtroom drama with racial elements. It will take a special effort to fail such a movie. But 12 Angry Men takes it to another level. Movie does not go out of the jury room and does not let you out of your seat. During my second and third viewings of the film, I did a small exercise. Every time they used to take a vote in movie, I will stop and think How will I vote? and it was hell of a job.
And then there is Roman Holiday(1953). One of my very good friends in college used to talk very fondly of this movie. She still does. But back then I didn’t even know that there is a movie by this name. So, one fine day I saw Roman Holiday just because she insisted and I have seen it 7 times in last 2 years. Believe me; I would have enjoyed it as much even if it was a silent movie. No disrespect to Gregory Peck but Audrey Hepburn on the screen that’s all I need. Her pristine, divine beauty had me tongue tied. And yes, I still try and say ‘Thank You’ the way she does in this movie.                                                          

And there are many more. So many that I can go on for at least 2-3 more posts like this. However, I will limit myself to just list them here. Morning Glory(2010): Rachel McAdams all the way. She has put a display of emotions in this. Inglourious Bastards(2009): Show me a longer and better scene than the one in Bar with Diane Kruger and I will stop watching movies forever though Col. Hans Landa is a reason enough to watch is again and again, My Best Friend’s Wedding(1998): 'Julianne: I'm pond scum. Well, lower actually. I'm like the fungus that feeds on pond scum. Michael: Lower. The pus that infects the mucus that cruds up the fungus that feeds on the pond scum'. I am all over the floor and I am watching it for umpteenth time. Sound of Music(1965): Songs, Songs and Songs. Priceless(2006),Sarfarosh(1999), Satya(1998), Walk the Line(2005), Casablanca(1942).

4 comments:

  1. Also watch Seven Samurai(Action/Drama), Rashoman(Drama), I saw the devil(Violent action movie with classic handling ),My Sassy Girl(Romantic), Singing in the rain(Musical Romantic), 3-iron(Romantic movie with twist)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOTR (to be specific) is no doubt anytime watch movie series. I just watched Inglourious Bastards yesterday & i think its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: I have seen Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Singing in the Rain and 3 Iron. Rashomon was tooo good. I will definitely see My Sassy Girl. Its been on my wish list for long. Not sure about I Saw the Devil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few to add, you must have watched already: Grosse point blank, the terminal, saving private ryan, cindrella man, rocky I II

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...