Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Master

If you remember reading my last post, which miraculously vanished from my drafts couple of days after publishing it and I never found it, I promised that I am going to try and write down some kind of review of The Master(2012), Paul Thomas Anderson's latest venture. Anyone who has seen this movie or read what someone else has written about it, you probably have some idea of why I am saying that I will 'Try' to write a review. The Master isn't a kind of movie you will come out of and expect to have understood it fully. On top of that, I usually do not write about latest releases because generally I watch movies considerably late than everyone else and take my time to write anything I write. Combine the three things together and common sense says I shouldn't be writing what I am right now. But, it's PTA - if I broke my rule for Chris Nolan reviewing The Dark Knight Rises(2012), I can do that for PTA too right? and once in a while, I have seen it in time. I think I am little more used to writing now as well. So, I am going to look at this as a challenge and take it. I DO NOT guarantee the outcome will be pretty.

So, The Master. Right from the very first scene when we see Freddie Quell, we know that he is a disturbed individual. We catch up with him on his ship, working in Navy in second World war. War ends soon after and they all have to come back to civilization to start re-building their lives. It doesn't really say anything about it but from what we learn about Freddie in a process, tells us that Freddie isn't exactly thrilled about it and there are reasons. Freddie isn't exactly what we will say - a people's person. He is much more savage, much more raw and unconventional even by today's standard. As you would expect, he struggles to find livelihood in normal world going from one trouble to another. I have no idea how he lands up in the cabbage farm, somewhere in East Asia I am assuming, from the department store or from there on board of yacht of Lancaster Dodd. Dodd is a founder of some kind of philosophical, cult movement called 'The Cause'. After some initial interaction, Dodd believes that Freddie needs help and he should help him. After their first one-on-one session which Dodd calls 'Processing', he is rather convinced that he can not only help Freddie but can make him "His Masterpiece", an answer to those non-believers who question the methods of The Cause. Dodd, like many leaders even in Real world, definitely possesses one ability - to make people believe in what he is saying, regardless of whether it is right or wrong. I may not agree with a single thing they say but I can not help but admire the way they hypnotize those around them. However it isn't an easy way for either Freddie to work within the confines that someone else has built for him or for Dodd to tame the beast like Freddie. Also, the fact that no one else in The Cause, including Dodd's wife Peggy, believes Freddie to be fit to join them isn't helping either of them. We follow the winding path that they both follow in each other's company but the real question is can either of them learn anything from or help the other one and if they do, who ?

For a lot of reasons, I think this is this year's The Tree of Life(2011). Both the movies are extremely beautiful to look at, have some of the stellar performances that will certainly be in the mix in the award season, and also because of their unconventional presentation and cold characters. If you can connect with them, you will love it. If you don't, you will hate it. I really wouldn't be surprised if people call this movie pointless. Well, they have. For what it is worth, even Roger Ebert did and I can definitely understand their point of view because that's what I feel about The Tree of Life. Only difference for me is somehow I connected with The Master and didn't with The Tree of Life. Throughout 137 minute length of movie, it challenged my perception, my need to compartmentalize the characters as Good or Bad. Freddie Quell is compulsive alcoholic who would literally mix anything he can get as long as he gets a kick out of it. In fact, that is the reason Dodd keeps him on his yacht on very first night, because he likes whatever Freddie has concocted but his habit and need nauseated me, he answers every question asked to him in his first processing session quickly, firmly and with amazing conviction(I have no idea how the hell did he do that scene. My eyes were watery just watching it) - that fascinated me. And right until the very last shot of the film, he never knows what he wants out of his life, probably more importantly IF he wants anything at all.  He is completely a lost cause and I pitied him. For my money, I do not remember a character or a movie that has evoked such a range of emotions from me. Even Amy Adams' character. There is a point in movie where her character kind of turns it on(quite literally) and she is nothing like before from that point onwards. From then on, we know what's her worth in everything that master is building.

However divisive The Master may turn out to be, I am sure that almost everyone will agree about few things. All the three leads giving stunning performances would probably be the first one. You can say that the characters are cold(which they are) and story doesn't really go anywhere(SPOILER: It pretty much ends exactly where it started. But that doesn't mean it didn't GO anywhere, does it?) but I doubt if anyone will question the quality of the performances from all the three leads. PTA has always been great in eliciting memorable performances and he doesn't disappoint here either. I wouldn't say I have seen whole lot of Joaquin Phoenix, playing the central role of Freddie Quell but from what I have seen and heard, this should be his finest performance till today. From the word go, this guy was so much into his character, it was scary. Even smallest of his movements, single twitch of a muscle does not feel like out of place. I might sound like a broken record talking of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, titular master and as solid as ever, but I really have never seen him in a bad role. Personally, Amy Adams is probably THE favorite actress working today. So, maybe I am biased but she is just as great as two male leads. Given the script that mainly revolves around male leads, she doesn't have a lot to do. But even then she left a strong impression on me. Shot in 70 mm, it looks stunningly beautiful, score and background music used is haunting. I never knew that PTA's films were so divisive. I always thought of him as one of the best directors with very distinct style and loud voice. I understand that most of his movies are rather difficult to stomach including this one and have some of the ultimate WTF? moments(Frog rain in Magnolia(1999), Bowling Alley scene in There Will Be Blood(2007) or last shot of Boogie Nights(1997)) but in my opinion that's what makes him great. However, real selling point here will remain to be story and it's characters.

Now, about the things that did throw me off a little. First of all, it jumps up a lot. Within a blink of eye, he goes from that department store to cabbage farm and then when he gets in trouble there, on Dodd's yacht. We have no idea of time or location of either of them. On couple of occasions, it also jumps in and out of reality like nobody's business. I had no idea what's happening after Freddie gets a phone call in the theater until I assumed it must be a dream. Not necessarily a bad thing but it is a story that takes time to grow and demands your complete attention. However, the positives out of this movie far outweigh the negatives. If nothing else, it is worth watching for all PTA Fan-boys and for three central performances.
Rating(out of 5):


15 comments:

  1. Good review SDG. Interesting, compelling, and very original in where it goes with it’s story, how it does, and how it eventually plays itself out. Amazing performances from Phoenix and Hoffman who I think are actually Oscar-worthy ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan. I agree with you. It is very original and Compelling and both Hoffman and Phoenix are great but no love for Amy Adams ? :(

      Delete
  2. Great review. This is probably one of the most divisive films I've ever seen, but I'd give it the same star rating. Phoenix and Hoffman totally delivered, but I was less taken with Adams' performance. A second viewing might change that though.

    I was wondering what happened to your last post. I commented on it, and then it disappeared. Anyway, great month of films, from what I remember. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know if it's me or them but it disappeared completely from my drafts. So, I retracted it as well. Sorry Josh, couldn't reply to your comment.

      I agree your view that she didn't have a lot to do. But I felt like she did leave her mark in small room she was given. I am glad that we agree on overall movie though. Thanks for the Comment !

      Delete
  3. Excellent review here my friend. I see what you mean about our reviews being very similar, which is pretty cool. I'd definitely say The Master is this year's The Tree of Life, on a number of levels. A polarizing flick indeed, but one I'm happy to be in the positive on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I told You. What really surprised me is I hated Tree of Life and agree that two are very similar but till liked this one. PTA Effect??

      Delete
  4. Great review! This is not the first one where the movie is being compared to The Tree of Life which worries me a little - TToL is the most boring movie I ever seen and I really disliked it. I hope I will like The master, though, I love all of the previous movies made by Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it won't be the last one. I will tell you that I didn't like TToL as well. But if you love all PTA stuff, I think most probably you at least won't hate The Master. We will wait for your thoughts on it.

      Thanks for stopping By !

      Delete
  5. Ahaa, its nice dialogue regarding this paragraph at this place at this blog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review SDG, I am very excited to see this, since I am a PTA Fan-girl and I like all three main actors (+curious to see Jesse Plemmons is). I wonder when will I get to actually watch it? hopefully soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! You have all the background to like this movie. Jesse Plemmons is in it for like 4 scenes but he is good as well. You will get to see it, don't worry. :)

      Delete
  7. Nice blog..
    I'm glad I stumbled here.
    Yet to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Kind words Vinay! Appreciate it. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...