Saturday, December 15, 2012

Awards Watch: SAG and Globe Nominations

This past week has been crazy and I am not talking about all the awards frenzy going around. I would have loved to do a separate post about these, especially since I think Globes more often than not get a little weird but my personal timetable has made it impossible to do so. So, like I did last year, I am combining Globes and SAG nominations and my brief thoughts on it in a single post. I also limited myself to the major categories - Acting, Directing and Picture only.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

                                           Drama                                                                         Comedy or Musical
                           Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln                                              Jack Black - Bernie
                            Richard Gere - Arbitrage                                 Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
                         John Hawkes - The Sessions                                       Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables
                        Joaquin Phoenix - The Master                                     Bill Murray - Hyde Park on Hudson
                         Denzel Washington - Flight                               Ewan McGregor - Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
  
SAG
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
John Hawkes - The Sessions
Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables
Denzel Washington – Flight

I guess I can complain about Joaquin Phoenix not being in the mix-up for SAG but his own doings seems to have bite him. I still think it's between him and Jackman for the fifth spot for the Oscars. Otherwise, this is a pretty standard plate. Gere would have been my choice no.6, so I am happy to see him here and Bill Murray and Ewan Mcgregor in comedy slate - well, they had to nominate 5 people right? 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

                                                Drama                                                                        Comedy or Musical
                   Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty                           Emily Blunt - Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
                        Marion Cotillard - Rust & Bone                            Judi Dench - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
                           Helen Mirren - Hitchcock                                 Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
                       Naomi Watts - The Impossible                                          Maggie Smith – Quartet
                    Rachel Weisz - The Deep Blue Sea                                    Meryl Streep - Hope Springs
 
SAG
Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard – Rust and Bone
Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
Helen Mirren – Hitchcock
Naomi Watts - The Impossible

SAG had Quvezhane Wallis and rest of the Beasts of the Southern Wild cast disqualified, so she isn't here. From the word in the air, I had Helen Mirren high up in the mix but because of the abysmal reviews, I didn't expect to see her. Chastain, Cotillard and Lawrence should be locks for Oscar now. Naomi Watts should get a great boost but personally, I would have loved to see Emmanuelle Riva somewhere in here.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

                             SAG                                                                               Globe
               Alan Arkin – Argo                                                                Alan Arkin – Argo
           Javier Bardem – Skyfall                                                   Leonardo DiCaprio - Django Unchained
Robert De Niro – Silver Linings Playbook                                   Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
 Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master                                              Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
       Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln                                              Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

Where did Javier Bardem come from? I ain't complaining, I loved him Skyfall but it is so unexpected even after his Critics choice nomination. Everyone seems to be complaining about Matthew McConaughey not getting nominated and Alan Arkin getting nominated but I am OK with both mainly since I haven't seen Magic Mike yet. I might change my stance after but for now, I will keep it shut. Right now my money is on Arkin, De Niro, Hoffman, Jones and someone from Django, hopefully Leonardo DiCaprio, to get nominated for Oscars.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

                            SAG                                                                                                   Globe
            Sally Field - Lincoln                                                          Amy Adams - The Master
   Anne Hathaway – Les Misérables                                                    Sally Field - Lincoln
        Helen Hunt – The Sessions                                                Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
     Nicole Kidman – The Paperboy                                                  Helen Hunt - The Sessions
Maggie Smith - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel                               Nicole Kidman - The Paperboy

Now, this is where I have biggest problem. WHERE IS AMY ADAMS? She was fabulous in The Master. I won't judge Kidman since I haven't seen her in the film but there is NO WAY Maggie Smith is better than her. For once, I am going to side with Globes and say that's the lineup I want to see. And yes, everyone keeps saying this is Anne Hathaway's award to loose but didn't Sally Field win more critics award? I am not taking sides, I just think it's early to close this race.

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

                                               Drama                                                                 Comedy or Musical
                                                 Argo                                               The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
                               Django Unchained                                                Les Misérables
                                     Life of Pi                                                    Moonrise Kingdom
                                      Lincoln                                                 Salmon Fishing in Yemen
                                 Zero Dark Thirty                                           Silver Linings Playbook
SAG
Argo
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Misérables
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook

I know I am comparing Best Ensamble SAG with Best Film in Globes but I think that is the only way. What's with Marigold Hotel over The Master or maybe Zero Dark Thirty? Isn't that a critic darling or something? I could complain about Globes Comedy but they have three serious contenders and again, they HAD to fill 5 spots right? Right now I think that Argo, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings and Les Misérables will make it in Oscars. I don't know beyond that and I don't even want to predict how many nominees will be there?

Best director - Globes



Ben Affleck for Argo

Katherine Bigelow for Zero Dark Thirty
Ang Lee for Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
Quentin Tarantino for Django Unchained 

I am happy for Tarantino though personally I was expecting PTA over him. I am also not sure how much does it affect Tom Hooper or David O. Russell's chances since as far as I know, they were in much more contention than QT. As per the rest four, Affleck, Bigelow and Spielberg are pretty much lock I think and I also think Lee has a very good chance of getting in. Come Oscar time however, I think Hooper or Russell would still close up the group.



What do you think? Who do you think was snubbed? Any unexpected surprises?

3 comments:

  1. I agree about Phoenix’s SAG snub: he deserves to be there, but it’s his damn fault.

    Riva not being in the mix is ridiculous. That is a damn strong category this year, but Mirren in no way deserves to be among the rest of them.

    Where did Bardem come from indeed! That really surprised me. A good surprise, but he frankly took McConaughey's spot, which kinda sucks.

    Great round-up here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my doubts about Riva, only because it is a foreign film and there is already Cotillard in there but still that is no reason to include Helen Mirren over her.

      About McConaughey, I will have to see Magic Mike, I guess. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...