Monday, March 5, 2012

101 Things I’ve Learned from the Movies

Well, As usual I am little late but better late than never, I am following the footsteps of Alex, Ruth, Stevee, Tyler and Sati here to give you 101 things that movies taught me. If you look at what Mr. Steve Martin says on the right hand side, it made it impossible for me to shy away from this opportunity. 

Now, as I said some of the fellow bloggers have already done this earlier. So, there might be few overlaps, rather there are few. Hope they don’t sue me for that. So, without further adieu, I give you 

1. I'm pond scum. Well, lower actually. I'm like the fungus that feeds on pond scum. - My Best Friend's Wedding

2. Oh, you think you're so special because you get to play Picture Pages up there? Well, my five year old daughter could do that and let me tell you, she's not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. So why don't you go back to night school in Mantino and learn a real trade. - Juno

3. They had no honor in Life. They have none now in death. - Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

4. Show them no mercy...for you shall receive none. - Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers

5. The first role of the Fight Club is you do not talk about the Fight Club. Second rule is you DO NOT talk about the fight club. - Fight Club

6. I bought a suit. You seen it. Now it's covered in mud. This town doesn't have a one hour cleaner so I had to buy a new suit, except the only store you could buy a new suit in has got the flu. Got that? The whole store got the flu so I had to get this in a second hand store. So it's either wear the leather jacket which I know you hate, or this. So I wore this ridiculous thing for you. - My Cousin Vinny

7. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. - The Dark Knight

8. Oh my GOD! Oh Shit! Phucket, Thailand !! - Juno

9. This city deserves a better class of criminal. And I'm gonna give it to them! - The Dark Knight

10. Well, maybe I overshot a little, because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out. - As Good As It Gets

11. According to the testimony, the boy looks guilty... maybe he is. I sat there in court for six days listening while the evidence built up. Everybody sounded so positive, you know, I... I began to get a peculiar feeling about this trial. I mean nothing is that positive. There're a lot of questions I'd have liked to ask. I don't know, maybe they wouldn't have meant anything, but... I began to get the feeling that the defense counsel wasn't conducting a thorough enough cross-examination. -  12 Angry Men


12. Well, Dreams, they feel real when we're in them. Its only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange. - Inception

13. I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*ckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? -  Goodfellas

14. And I'm the old butler, Fräulein. - The Sound of Music

15. The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. - Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring

16. You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'. - Inglourious Bastards

17. I wonder if you understand that all of us - Dolores, me, the children who survived, the children who didn't - that we're all citizens of a different town now. A place with its own special rules and its own special laws. A town of people living in the sweet hereafter. - The Sweet Hereafter

18. I'm gonna make him an offer he won't refuse. -  The Godfather

19. I like standing next to you Sean. It makes me look so tough. - The Social Network

20. What's the most you have lost in a coin toss? - No Country for Old Men

21. The Greatest Trick that devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist. - The Usual Suspects

22. Gentleman, you can't fight in here! This is War Room. - Dr. Strangelove
23. You are not an asshole, Mark. You are just trying so hard to be. - The Social Network

24. So, Ladies and Gentleman, if I say I am an oil man, you will agree. - There Will be Blood

25. I can't listen to that much Wagner, you know! I start to get the urge to conquer Poland. - Manhattan Murder Mystery

26. Twenty-one Grams. The weight of stack of five nickels, the weight of a hummingbird, a chocolate bar. - 21 Grams

27. I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there up to the task. - 300

28. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. - Pulp Fiction

29. We got a German here who wants to die for his country! Oblige Him! -  Inglourious Bastards

30. Viddy well, Little Brother. Viddy well. - A Clockwork Orange

31. The Earth is evil. We don't need to grieve for it. - Melancholia

32. You ARE Home. - Almost Famous

33. One night I am gonna come to you, inside of your house, wherever you are sleeping and I am gonna cut your throat. - There Will Be Blood

34. I call upon those persons present here to witness that I, Bernard Delaney, do take thee, Lydia Jane Hibbott, to be my awful wedded wife. - Four Weddings and Funeral

35. You're my father again now, are you? And what were you when you encouraged me to throw my life away? Silly schoolgirls are always getting seduced by glamorous older men, but what about you two? - An Education

36. Attica! Attica! Attica!! - Dog Day Afternoon

37. No. It's perfectly possible. It's just bloody difficult. - Inception

38. You can't Handle the Truth !! - A Few Good Men

39. If I say it is safe to surf this beach, Captain. then it is safe to surf this beach! - Apocalypse Now

40. Are you talking about Monkeys? - Before Sunrise

41. All work and no Play makes Jack a dull boy. - The Shining

42. Baby, you are gonna miss that plane. - Before Sunset

43. Just pretend you are a Janitor. Janitors are never terrified. - Notorious

44. Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige". - The Prestige

45. If I let you change me, will that do it? If I do what you tell me, will you love me? - Vertigo

46. You can't have roots and wings, Melanie. - Sweet Home Alabama

47. Did Somebody eat an Onion Bagel? - The Devil Wears Prada


48. Mike Waszowski - Monsters Inc.

49. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I am no different. - Memento

50. You are no messiah. You are movie of the week, you are a fucking t-shirt at best. - Se7en

51. Keep your Friends Close, but your enemies Closer. - The Godfather Part II

52. This is exactly my point! People going around calling you a midget when you want to be called a dwarf. Of course, you are going to blow your head off. - In Bruges

53. And it is in the humble opinion of this narrator that this is not just "Something That Happened." This cannot be "One of Those Things... " This, please, cannot be that. And for what I would like to say, I can't. This Was Not Just A Matter Of Chance. Ohhhh. These strange things happen all the time. - Magnolia

54. Well, you have to know these things when you are a King, you know. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

55. I think something important is happening around me. And it scares me. - Three Colors: Red

56. I am running this place! Me!! I will say what goes and what don't go.

57. Nice One, Dad. Good Speech. Well Done. But I think you will have to go now so that we can eat our breakfast. - Festen

58. I remember every detail. The Germans wore grey, you wore blue. - Casablanca

59. Men of your kind will soon become extinct. You'll become something worse than dead. You'll become a legend. - Alphaville

60. I remember my father telling me, "The eyes of God are on us always." The eyes of God. What a phrase to a young boy. What were God's eyes like? Unimaginably penetrating, intense eyes, I assumed. And I wonder if it was just a coincidence I made my specialty ophthalmology. - Crimes and Misdemeanors

61. All along the line, there is nothing but cold and death and loneliness. - Wild Strawberries

62. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it, "I"M MAD AS HELL AND I"M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE" - Network

63. You don't make up for your sins in Church, you do it on the Streets. - Mean Streets

64. No, Sir. This is the West, Sir. When legend becomes a fact, print the legend. - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

65. That's too much power for one man to have. - Malcolm X

66. It's a good story today. Tomorrow they will wrap a fish in it. - Ace in The Hole

67. Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. - Kill Bill Vol. II

68. I honor my child with this division so no parent has to go through what I have known. This child. That's all I care about and I'm gonna bring her home. - Gone Baby Gone

69. They are common stories these days. I even heard that the demon leaving here in Rashomon fled in fear of the ferocity of man. - Rashomon

70. Cassius was right. The fault dear Brutus is not in our stars but in ourselves. - Good Night and Good Luck

71. I changed my life today. What did you do? - The Verdict

72. When someone else is driving, I am scared. - The Wages of Fear

73. It's silly to be depressed by it. I mean, one thinks of it like being alive in a box. One keeps forgetting to take into account the fact that one is dead, which should make all the difference, shouldn't it? I mean, you'd never *know* you were in a box, would you? It would be just like you were asleep in a box. Not that I'd like to sleep in a box, mind you. Not without any air. You'd wake up dead for a start, and then where would you be? In a box. That's the bit I don't like, frankly. That's why I don't think of it. Because you'd be helpless, wouldn't you? Stuffed in a box like that. I mean, you'd be in there forever, even taking into account the fact that you're dead. It isn't a pleasant thought. Especially if you're dead, really. Ask yourself, if I asked you straight off, "I'm going to stuff you in this box. Now, would you rather be alive or dead?" naturally, you'd prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better than no life at all, I expect. You'd have a chance, at least. You could lie there thinking, "Well, at least I'm not dead. In a minute somebody is going to bang on the lid, and tell me to come out." - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

74. Back, and to the left...back, and to the left...back and to the left. - JFK

75. A minute ago, it was the safest job in the world. Now, it is turning into a bad day in Bosnia. - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

76. You know, I don't think I have got in me to shoot my flatmate, my mum and my girlfriend all in the same night. - Shaun of the Dead

77. What's the matter? I sure meant no harm, Mr. Cunningham. - To Kill a Mockingbird

78. Rome! By all means, Rome! I will cherish my visit here in memory for as long as I live. - The Roman Holiday

79. Well, boys, we got three engines out, we got more holes in us than a horse trader's mule, the radio is gone and we're leaking fuel and if we was flying any lower why we'd need sleigh bells on this thing... but we got one little budge on them Rooskies. At this height why they might harpoon us but they dang sure ain't gonna spot us on no radar screen! - Dr. Strangelove

80. I am saying that when the President does it, that means it is NOT illegal. - Frost/Nixon

81. Fate, it seems, is not without the sense of Irony. - The Matrix

82. Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming ? - The Silence of the Lambs

83. But why did she have to die? - Finding Neverland

84. I'm a schoolteacher. I teach English composition... in this little town called Adley, Pennsylvania. The last eleven years, I've been at Thomas Alva Edison High School. I was a coach of the baseball team in the springtime. Back home, I tell people what I do for a living and they think well, now that figures. But over here, it's a big, a big mystery. So, I guess I've changed some. Sometimes I wonder if I've changed so much my wife is even going to recognize me, whenever it is that I get back to her. And how I'll ever be able to tell her about days like today. Ah, Ryan. I don't know anything about Ryan. I don't care. The man means nothing to me. It's just a name. But if... You know if going to Rumelle and finding him so that he can go home. If that earns me the right to get back to my wife, then that's my mission. - Saving Private Ryan

85. I like how you can compliment and insult somebody at the same time, in equal measure. - Blue Valentine

86. If it's bad, I will hate it. If it's good, I will be envious and hate it even more. - Midnight In Paris

87. But some things are not forgivable. Deliberate cruelty is not forgivable! It is the one unforgivable thing, in my opinion, and the one thing of which I have never, never been guilty. - A Streetcar Named Desire

88. You made me swallow my gum! That's going to be in my digestive tract for seven years! - Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

89. Well I'm telling you with 100 percent certainty that it is not the time. It's not about time, it's not the right time, it's not even quarter to the right time. - Walk the Line

90. Oh, you mean organezized. Like those little signs they have in offices that says, "Thimk"? - Taxi Driver

91. In Italy, you get chickens, but no eggs. In Africa there were always eggs, but... never chickens. Who separated them? - The English Patient

92. Remember, remember the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot... - V For Vendetta

93. After we watch "The Bucket List," remember to cross "watch 'The Bucket List'" off our bucket list. - Easy A

94. It's brown water! I'm paying seven-hundred dollars a month, I got rats with bongos and a, and a frog and I got brown water here. - Manhattan

95. No. No! NO! Stop it! Stop it, please! I beg you! This is sin! This is sin! This is sin! It's a sin, it's a sin, it's a sin! - A Clockwork Orange

96. I always wanted to say this. Say Hello to my little Friend! - Kick-Ass

97. Oh, that's not swearing. They came out of the sinful category an age ago. - Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day

98. Don't worry Shakespeare. You will get your ending. - Moulin Rogue

99. Can you believe it? We're in the middle of drought and water commissioner drowns! Only in L.A. - Chinatown

100. I will never get used to anything. Anybody that does, they might as well be dead. - Breakfast at Tiffany's

101. I'd like to spell it out for you...only I can't spell !! - The Apartment
 
 Hope you enjoy this!

14 comments:

  1. Oooh, I spot Lord of the Ring in there and The Prestige and The Sound of Music :D
    81 is going to annoy me until I google it - I KNOW that quote!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can spot many more, you are just in that phase. :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great list! I might do it too later. Love reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andina. Try making one. I was skeptical myself but gave it a try and it materialized really well.

      Delete
  3. Most impressive. I couldn't think of 11 let alone 101!! Great work sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That IS Special - From Matey to Sir !! :)
      Thanks Scott and I am sure you can find 200 if you want to.

      Delete
  4. Great choices here. Love the moment in 19.

    And 61. Oh what a film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 61 - My First Bergman and I still believe a great way to start Bergman. Not as heavy as Persona or Cries and Whisper but just as great as them.
      Thanks for the idea and push to make me do it Alex.

      Delete
  5. If I have seen the films,I can remember the quotes you wrote,but I couldn't do it myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..I Know. It happened to me when I went through the lists others made. Sometimes it gets frustrating, isnt't it ??

      Delete
  6. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead! What an underrated film. It doesn't get talked about it enough. Great choice for mentioning it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it very recently and loved it wholeheartedly. Great Cast, Good Idea and Great Fun!! No doubt it needs more recognition. Thanks for your comment !

      Delete
  7. Brilliant post. I think its hightime I should push myself to write a post on the same. Keep up the good work :)

    Here check out my site sometime - http://movieroundup.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks !! Try making one Dude !! It sure was fun.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...